A big reason why Ben and I started this blog was to help people learn all about the different ways you can earn extra money.
From simple side hustles, to launching full blown startups (and everything in between), we’ve wracked our brains and scoured Internet to bring you all that we could find.
The result? A comprehensive list of over 100 extreme ways you can earn extra money.
Obviously, earning extra money is something that can really change your life. Money can buy you freedom in more ways than one, despite what people may say.
Earning extra money on top of your day job can improve many areas of your life:
- Less stress from living paycheck to paycheck
- Reduce the burden of crippling debt
- More opportunities to save for a dream vacation
- It can be passed on to others for social good
- You can retire earlier
- It can be snowballed into even more wealth
The purpose of this post is to serve as a source of ideas for you to earn extra money. Let this list be a source of inspiration to you!
Whether you’ve only got a few spare minutes to make a quick buck or if you are willing to burn the midnight oil in the hours after your full-time job and put in maximum effort, there are a lot of ways to earn extra money.
There is a ton of information on this page, so I suggest bookmarking it and coming back periodically.
Alright, let’s get to it.
My Top Ways to Earn Extra Money
There’s something on this list for everyone, but I wanted to start things off with my personal favorites in terms of making extra money.
1. Get paid to take surveys: Until a few months ago, I had never heard of paid surveys. Sure enough, they are real…and they can net you hundreds of dollars each month.
Users are usually notified by email when a qualifying survey is available. As such, I recommend signing up for multiple survey sites so you’re eligible for as many surveys as possible.
You won’t earn a living from it, as most surveys pay less than $5, but you can easily earn upwards of $100/month by mindlessly mashing buttons while you watch Netflix. Some even give you a free $5 (or more) just for signing and it’s hard to beat that!
Survey Junkie – Survey Junkie is very straightforward: all you have to do is sign up to be eligible for paid surveys. Once you complete a survey you earn a certain amount of points that you can exchange for cash paid directly to a PayPal account or you can redeem your points for gift cards. Super simple.
Free Signup: Register Here
Swagbucks – Perhaps the most well-known and trusted of all the survey sites, users earn “Swagbucks” (also known as SB’s) for each survey they complete. Swagbucks even gives you a free $5 as an incentive just for signing up.
$5 Signup Bonus: Claim Here
Vindale Research – Vindale Research asks for information about you that they can match you with fitting surveys. At up to $50 a pop for some surveys, and a free $2 just for signing up, it pays to check in daily to see which ones are available to you. Cashouts are through PayPal.
$2 Signup Bonus: Claim Here
MyPoints rewards members when they shop online, take surveys, play games, watch videos and more. Similar to Swagbucks, plus they give you a $5 gift card for free after signing up.
$5 Signup Bonus: Claim Here
2. Start a Blog: This can be just a simple side hustle, or it can turn into something really special; it’s up to you. I’m a huge fan of blogging because I love writing and connecting with people all over the world. If you want to get started, read my post on how anyone can get started blogging (no experience needed). If you need some inspiration, read about how we made over $12,300 in one month of blogging. Seriously, don’t discount the incredible opportunities that blogging can provide!
HostGator has one of the best deals on the internet right now for getting a money-making blog up and running. They make it simple and easy to get started (and have everything you need all in one place), which is why I like recommending them to ambitious new bloggers.
Bonus: Use coupon code “BTOP60” to get 60% off the price of your blog (this offer expires soon)!
3. Drive with Uber: This is a really good use of your time if you are trying to make some extra cash in a weekend. By driving with Uber, you have the flexibility to work whenever you want, which means you can make money on your schedule. Pretty slick!
4. Earn More Interest on Your Savings: Move your savings over to a bank account that actually pays you a decent interest rate on your savings. CIT Bank pay 25X times higher than the national average. Take 10 minutes out of your day and do this- over time, it really does make a difference.
5. Become a Freelance Proofreader: In 2014, Caitlin Pyle made over $43,000 by working as a freelance proofreader…part time. When she wasn’t working, she even had time to go on several fun vacations. After she had a ton of success doing that, she decided she wanted to teach others how to do the same thing, so she started up Proofread Anywhere. Sign up for her free workshop on making money as a proofreader.
6. Make money off your email inbox: If you’ve never heard of Paribus, you’re seriously missing out. It’s a neat service that links up to your email inbox and it scans your emails for receipts. If you’ve made an online purchase recently and Paribus finds that the price on that item has dropped and you are eligible for a price adjustment, it will alert you (the consumer) and the retailer, and will work to get you reimbursed for the difference.
You can link your inbox with Paribus here and start saving from your email today!
7. Link your loyalty cards to the Ibotta App: Think of Ibotta like your normal store rewards cards on steroids. The app gives you a rebate for virtually any brand of item you buy and is especially valuable at popular food retailers such as Kroger, Food Lion and Walmart. Better yet, you can earn even more money for inviting your friends to use the app.
You even get $10 just for signing up, and they’ll also pay you $5 more for each friend you refer.
8. Get Cashback When You Shop:
Technically you’re not getting money, but you’re getting money back (cashback) on purchases you would have made anyways. Cool thing is, this is on top of any discounts/coupon codes you already have. The two best sites that offer cashback on your online purchases are Ebates ($10 free signup bonus) and Swagbucks ($5 free signup bonus).
9. Get paid to use search engines: A company named InboxDollars will actually pay you to use their search engine instead of some of the more prominent ones like Google and Bing.
You get $0.15 for every 4 qualified searches you complete and an additional $0.05 each time you use the search tool 4 times in a week. You’re not going to get rich quick but you may as well make a few extra bucks for searching the web like you normally would. You can’t game the system, apparently they can tell when you’re searching naturally, so stick to just using it as your normal search engine and appreciate the extra dough!
They offer users a free $5 just for signing up and earnings are credited to your account in under 15 minutes.
10. Invest Your Savings: Depending on your age, you should be netting around 7% year with a balanced investment portfolio. Have $50,000 in savings? That is $3,500 dollars per year that you are missing out on by not investing. And getting started is easier than you think. Check out How to Open an IRA to get started. Oh and just FYI, Ally Invest has a promo going on right now where you can start investing in stocks for only $4.95 per trade.
…More of My Favorites:
11. Peer to Peer Lending: Using money you already have to make more money is usually a pretty smart move. Using a service like Lending Club is a great way to act as a lender and earn interest on your money. Essentially, YOU act as the bank, which is pretty neat. Lending Club is the world’s largest online credit marketplace connecting borrowers and investors. Definitely something worth looking into!
12. Become a virtual assistant: As silly as it may sound, virtual assistants are in crazy high demand. It’s also one of the better paying work from home jobs around with most assistants earning between $35-$50 per hour according to Gina Horkey, the owner of the VA training site HorkeyHandBook.
Virtual assistants complete a variety of tasks for businesses that are interested in offsetting the cost of full-time employees. These tasks include:
- Social media management
- Email management
- Project management
- Content production
Whether you’re a stay-at-home mom or dad looking for a second career or you’re just looking to make extra cash for skills you already have, becoming a virtual assistant may be the perfect fit for you.
13. Sell Gift Cards You’ll Never Use: We all have them. That random store that you never go to, but your grandma thought you’d love. Raise is a marketplace for buying and selling gift cards online. It’s free to join, and consumers can either buy discounted gift cards or sell their gift cards in exchange for cash.
14. Participate in Paid Research Studies: If you live near a university, there are likely all sorts of research studies looking for participants. While I was an undergrad at Virginia Tech, I got paid $500 to participate in a 6 week dietary study. The study provided all my meals and paid me, but I had to eat a 5,000 calorie diet of 50% fat for 6 weeks, plus I had multiple muscle biopsies taken, urine/blood testing, etc.
15. Use Swagbucks for Online Search: Swagbucks is a great way to passively earn cash and Amazon gift cards with very little work. They have a search tool, which is just like using Google to do your online searches, except you get rewarded “SBs” for the things you do through their website. Redeem SBs for rewards. And by signing up through our link, they give you a free $5. Boom.
16. Sell Your Stuff: Most of us are guilty of hanging onto things that we never use, myself included. Take a day and go through all your old stuff and get rid of some of it! One tool that is really helpful for this is Decluttr. you can enter your items barcodes into their valuation engine and they’ll give you an instant offer. Then you simply pack all your items into a box and then ship your items to them for free. Get cash for your stuff with Decluttr.
17. Join the Nielsen Computer & Mobile Panel: Install the app, surf the web, and get entries into their monthly $10,000 sweepstakes. Learn more about Nielsen Digital Voice here.
18. List an extra room in your house on Airbnb: Have an extra room in your house? Going to be gone for a week and are looking to make some serious dough?
Literally make money from your home!
Believe it or not this is seriously the easiest way ever to pull in hundreds (even thousands) of extra dollars per month. Most of it involves very little or no work on your end and there is almost 0 overhead to get started. This is something that not nearly enough people are taking advantage of. If you own a home, consider putting a room (or the whole place) on Airbnb.
Here’s how it works:
Create a listing my filling out a description, taking and uploading photos, and setting a price. Your listing helps guests get a sense of what your place is like.
Then, you set the availability and house rules for your listing. Once your listing is live, guests can book their stay at your home, and you start earning money.
To up the “trust” factor for both the host and the guests, Airbnb does require some verification information, including phone numbers. After a visit, everyone gets the chance to write a review. Reviews keep guest accountable for treating hosts and their homes with respect, and helps ensure hosts make their space as welcoming as possible.
Learn more about how you can make money as an Airbnb host here.
19. Consulting for Local Small Businesses: This side hustle can easily become a full time job! If you’ve got expertise in an area and think you can help small businesses near you, give this a shot. For instance, Ben and I know a lot about running Facebook advertising campaigns, so we approached the owner of our gym if he would let us design a few campaigns for him. And of course he was thrilled to get the help! Here’s a useful 18 Step Checklist for Becoming a Small Business Consultant.
20. Affiliate Marketing: That’s how this website is able to generate thousands in revenue each month without selling anything. Setting up an affiliate-focused website is fairly easy, but it will take quite a bit of time and effort to draw in enough traffic to make decent money. Our article From 0-$100k: How Anyone Can Start Blogging is a great starting point!
Other Ways to Earn Extra Money:
21. Create an Online Course: If you’ve got expertise in a certain area, package up your knowledge into an online course and sell it. This has become a very popular business model for online entrepreneurs over the past several years. The two big websites that are used to sell online courses are Udemy and Teachable. Check out this awesome article from Regina over at byRegina.com on How to Create an Online Course that Sells.
22. Offer Resume Help: This can either be done locally or through an online service like Fiverr. Resumes are something that people can be very insecure and self conscious about, which means there is always a demand for services that will help spruce them up. Holly Hanna from The Work at Home Woman wrote a really useful article on How to Make Money from Home with Resume Writing.
23. Become a Bartender: If you live in a college town, this can be a really lucrative side hustle. Get a better idea of how much you can expect to earn as a bartender here.
24. Pet Sitting: Especially around the holidays, this service is in high demand. People want someone they can trust to look after their pets while they are out of town. Pet sitting is just the beginning though. Check out these 7 ways you can make money with your canine friend.
25. Start Personal Training: If you have a passion for fitness and love helping others improve their health, you might consider becoming a personal trainer. With social media, there are now more ways than just 1 on 1 training to earn extra money in the fitness industry. Smart Asset wrote a great piece on The Economics of Personal Training.
Want to earn $17,000/month from home?
In this FREE 7-day email course, you'll:
- Learn how to start your very own blog.
- Discover your perfect audience and how to write amazing content that makes money.
- Learn the exact steps we took to now make over $17,000/month by blogging.
You'll usually see me on here writing articles about how to save (and make!) money, how to make smarter investment choices, and how to have a better overall financial life. If there's ever a topic you'd like to see me cover, shoot me an email!